Saturday, October 29, 2016

Getting Older

I’ve been thinking about minimalism, getting older, paring down, and maybe something more like “essentialism”. 
My life has changed dramatically following my 40th birthday, but primarily in external ways.  I realized this spring that I have changed in the past 4 years:
My name
My address
My phone number
My email address
My workplace

I’ve also been making other, still external but less observable alterations.  All of which, surprisingly, took some consideration. 

1.     I stopped wearing perfume when I discovered I get contact dermatitis – small itchy bumps – from spraying it on.  I love scent.  It connects me to memories and is a subtle daily boost.  But I really don’t like itching.  I did try some organic scents.  Most are only available online, so expensive experimenting led me to very few scents I really wanted to use.  I’ve mostly given up.
2.     I started wearing eye cream.  I don’t do a ton when it comes to beauty products, but that seemed like an easy one.  Small container, slap on once a day.  I am judged by my grooming in my workplace, so there are several things I do now that I look forward to tossing when I hit retirement.
3.     I threw away all my uncomfortable underwear.  By uncomfortable, I mean thong.  This isn’t a diss.  I know many women for whom thong is great.  It has a lot to do with the shape of your hips and your tush.  Really doesn’t work for me.  If someone sees my panty line, it’s not going to kill them.

4.     I determined to not buy any more high heels.  I am slowly weeding the ones I own from my closet.  A few I plan to sell online (hello Fluevog shop!).  But ultimately, I want the freedom to walk anywhere.  I live in an area with a lot of ice.  Heels just don’t make sense to most of my lifestyle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment