I’m seeing a lot of Facebook posts about being kind to Trump
voters, because they voted for him because they are “scared”. Scared of change, because they are living
paycheck to paycheck, manufacturing jobs have gone away, etc. The list is long.
I’m not even going to go in to the history of lynching,
which was supposedly about white women “scared” by black male sexual
aggression.
Then there was “Gay Panic” – a legal defense for attacking
and killing homosexuals, because hetero men were “scared”.
In my community I hear people say they won’t ride the bus
because they are scared of “those people” – primarily Native, lower income residents. So the bus system is cut because there aren’t
enough riders, making it harder for lower income people to get to jobs. Making unemployment more common.
Then yesterday we were lauding Veterans. Completely missing the point that they are the
people who bucked up, put on their boots, and did what scared them for the greater good. To protect our country.
Fear, courage, heroes, cowards. Make better choices, people.
No comments:
Post a Comment