Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Death Cleaning

Apparently I've been doing it right, and following my ethnic heritage, all along!! It isn't (just) about minimalism, it's about not leaving a mess behind.

http://www.whimn.com.au/live/home/the-new-decluttering-trend-is-called-swedish-death-cleaning-and-we-tried-it/news-story/7d757c405fefdd1d1c021c870aef34d3

This book just sings to me.

I've banged the drum for a long time about stuff and the burdens of stuff. One of those burdens is other people's stuff - when they have passed. I have typically focused more on the paperwork elements. Prior to my travels, and twice since (real estate acquisition, marriage) I have written the standard estate documents. Will, living will, durable power of attorney, and medical power of attorney. Easy to do online, easy to find a notary. It isn't so much that I have much to leave, but why would I leave a mess behind for others to sort out? Examples here:

https://www.gyst.com/

I went further and have also always have an "estate plan" document. Again, it really doesn't tie to money. It has the following useful information:

  • Where my will is
  • That I am an organ donor
  • Where my bank accounts are
  • Where and what my insurance policies are
  • Where my important documents are 
  • What credit cards I have
  • Where my passwords are saved
  • Who my accountant is
  • Who my doctor is
  • Who my dentist is
  • What my passport number is

You might wonder why any of this is important if you have never lost a loved one, had an estate to settle, had to file someone's final (postmortem) taxes, been appointed an executor, or been through the myriad painful and frustrating details of those roles. At one time in my family we had four relatives in four nursing homes in four states, none of which were the state we lived in. It was an exhausting time. I've had a relative die while traveling abroad. The State Department does a good job, but knowing your passport number is important. I live in a place where people die out in the wild - plane crashes, hiking deaths, bear maulings. Sometimes dental records are how the body is identified (DNA tests take 4-8 excruciating weeks longer).

My tidiness takes many forms. Organization, significance, decluttering. I joined a Buy Nothing group and have enjoyed that method of passing things along. My quarterly swap is coming up in a month. I am taking items to the consignment store.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/local-business/buy-nothing-project-free-clothes-toys-food-even-a-wedding/

And I am getting The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment