It's so odd coming from the timeless (well, I didn't have a watch on for 2 weeks) Grand Canyon and then hoping into a car and using all the modern conveniences. I headed out of Flagstaff and hit Winslow, AZ. The town isn't much these days, but the extant Fred Harvey hotel - La Posada - is an architectural gem, and the lunch there is fab.
I continued northeast to visit Canyon de Chelly National Monument. I worked in Mesa Verde National Park ages ago, but this is a far more remote location. As a result, fewer visitors and a very different approach to usage. Quite lovely, quiet, and wonderful. The Grand Canyon time is such an away space, but is also intensely sociable due to being stuck in boats and campsites with your nearest and dearest. It's quite a mental balancing act. I had several conversations with family members and friends about the nature of loneliness. Food for thought. I am quite happy to have my solo time to hike and enjoy. My next few journey legs will be sociable and I like the balance.
I continued northeast to visit Canyon de Chelly National Monument. I worked in Mesa Verde National Park ages ago, but this is a far more remote location. As a result, fewer visitors and a very different approach to usage. Quite lovely, quiet, and wonderful. The Grand Canyon time is such an away space, but is also intensely sociable due to being stuck in boats and campsites with your nearest and dearest. It's quite a mental balancing act. I had several conversations with family members and friends about the nature of loneliness. Food for thought. I am quite happy to have my solo time to hike and enjoy. My next few journey legs will be sociable and I like the balance.
Wearing Elliot's hat. Thanks cuz! The light at Canyon de Chelly is best in the evening.
But that didn't stop me from taking a hike early this morning.
600 feet down to these ruins.
And then I travelled to Arches National Park to catch the evening light there. More early morning hiking scheduled for tomorrow!




No comments:
Post a Comment