No. How could I
be? Do you really think I’m ready to
drop my butt back into a desk chair?
Luckily, as an archaeologist the hop back into work means going for a
nice hike. In 15 meter intervals. Likely in Montana. We’re just waiting on the permit to get
signed. Earning some money will be a
nice change.
In the meantime, I am back in Seattle catching up with
family and friends. Proving that you can’t
plan for everything (anything?) the guys from France – Justin and Ivan – are filming
in town this weekend. I’m helping out
again. Maybe I’ll get in the credits
this time!
People keep asking what my favorite place was while traveling. I just cannot come up with one. I’ve never been good at that. What’s my favorite book? Out of the thousands I’ve read? Ha!
Doesn’t work that way for me. I’ve
loved virtually every place I’ve been.
One or two exceptions, but by and large.
I’ve loved traveling. I’m not
tired of it yet. I’m planning to keep
moving.
So, what are the takeaway lessons from the trip?
1.
I worked to break some bad habits. Like over planning. I’ve definitely managed that.
2.
I also tried to break the habit of taking
responsibility for things that weren’t mine.
Better there.
3.
I’ve learned to live with far less stuff. Since being in Seattle I have done a bit of
shopping to reup the supplies. I have a
pair of flipflops ($8.76 at the consignment store). I have taken one bag of clothes out of my
storage unit. Haven’t looked at the rest
of the boxes, but know that I will be getting rid of much of it. Anyone want a nice computer monitor?
4.
With less stuff to care for, there is more time
to do other things. Spending time with
friends. Travel. I’m hoping to remain a minimalist for a long
time.
5.
There are wonderful, loving people
everywhere. Full stop.
6.
American portion sizes in restaurants are
ridiculous.
7.
Public transit makes me happy.
8.
I want to be a Park Ranger.
Did you have a favorite museum? Did anyone assume you were an American off the bat? What was the most surprising thing that happened? What was your favorite museum and why?
ReplyDelete