I have struggled in the past months not over who I am – that
part seems fairly well set – but with what I want to do. Traveling has been wonderful. Seeing so many places, meeting so many
people, experiencing the richness of the world is amazing. And I am not done yet, since the month of
October will be spent in Southeast Asia.
But, for all that, I have decided to settle down a bit. After long consideration I am moving back to
Alaska. My family is there. My best friend Lindsey. The mountains I love. It is a beautiful place. There are obvious minuses. I have been accustomed to living in the more
politically liberal Seattle. As a
feminist, environmentalist, supporter of LGBT rights, supporter of public
transportation and healthcare and all the other –isty stuff, Alaska will be a
challenge. The machismo of many Alaskans
can be grating, as they take their taxpayer-funded lifestyles and explain how
Libertarian they are. But in the end, I
have chosen to return to my roots.
So, I’ll be starting a new job in early November and moving
up before the snow flies.
No comments:
Post a Comment