Monday, September 30, 2013

Time for an Update! Fun and Work

After returning to the Seattle area, I waited around a bit for some work to come up.  As I said when I kicked off this journey, I tried to quit my job and failed.  My company switched me to hourly status and let it open for me to come back.  Knowing I wasn’t ready for office work, I waited around for something in the field. 

While I had some free time I enjoyed some local touristing.  I did a Seattle architecture Foundation tour of Art Deco (http://www.seattlearchitecture.org/tour_deco.html).  A bit of hiking.  Spent lots of time with my Uncle Jay, including taking in a Mariner’s baseball game.  I re-met up with my crazy camera crew from France to give a small assist in a Seattle shoot. 


Once things kicked off, I went and did a 10-day stint in North Dakota in the Bakken Oilfields.  Survey work for a proposed pipeline.  The area is geographically quite pretty, tho sociologically a nightmare.  As odd as it might seem, this is the best article I’ve read about the impacts of the recent oil boom: http://www.buzzfeed.com/susanelizabethshepard/wildcatting-a-strippers-guide-to-the-modern-american-boomtow

Then I popped up to Alaska for my mother's 70th birthday party.  It was enormously fun, and I enjoyed catching up with everyone.  As I have traveled I have been reminding myself of what is important to me.  My family ranks tops.

I then headed back south and did another 10-day field session in eastern Montana.  Still more oil-related work.  Amazing archaeology, which I can't tell you about.  Confidentiality!

No comments:

Post a Comment