According to the news “selfie” is the 2013 word of the
year. I’d like to think I helped put it there with all my solo travel
time. I’ve been lax about posting now that I’ve returned from my travels
to the “real world” – time to update everyone.
I’ve struggled with distilling my last year into a life
plan, since over-planning was one of the habits I was working to break.
But I’ve made the move to Alaska and started work following the Asian
journey. Being back in a regular work environment is a bit
discombobulating, but the transition is made easier by the fact that I am in a
great place. The people are wonderful, I like the organization, and my
office has an amazing view. I’m two blocks from the library and have
launched myself back into the world of stability by making 2-3 trips there each
week. Obviously something I missed. With getting here in November I
have certainly had quality family time through the holidays. It’s
wonderful getting time with everyone.
That said, I am experiencing a shortage of alone time that I
have come to need. I am hoping to shore up those reserves in
January. And I am taking concrete steps to preserve my need for solitude
at the same time as creating space for all my loved ones in my life. I’m
buying a condo - a very, very small one that I will start off by gutting and
remodeling. It’s been rented out for the last nine years and the tenants
have not been kind. So I plan to start from scratch and make it my
own. Fingers crossed, I’ll be able to start nesting in late March/early
April. Most of my goods have been in boxes for 1-2 years, I’m sure I’m in
for some surprises when I open them. Hopefully pleasant ones. I can
tell you this, my new colleagues think I am a bit of a snappy dresser because I
wear a lot of dresses to work. Truth is: I can find the box that has my
pants. My best guess is they are either in a box labeled Summer, or
Kitchen. C’est problematique.
Being back in Alaska brings home to me how many of my habits
are ingrained from growing up here. It’s
just different from the Lower 48. Not
bad, not necessarily good, but different.
No comments:
Post a Comment