Today was our visit to Mycenae!
Bit of a busman’s holiday to go to an archaeological site, but I plan to
hit a bunch of them. It’s an
addiction. So beautiful – blue sky,
olive trees, goats with bells ringing around their necks on the hillside. And we’re the only people here because no one
else is crazy enough to come to Greek tourist sites in January. All the employees look confused by our
presence. The plus is we have the place
all to ourselves and it is completely peaceful.
The minus: the bus driver gets lazy and doesn’t come back. So we walked.
From Mycenae to a few km short of Argos where a trio of orange pickers
picked us up in their truck and dropped us off at a bus stop where the bus did
in fact arrive. All told, we walked
about eight miles. I deserve this
baklava!!
Mycenae from below.
Brianna in the ruins.
There is snow up there somewhere....
The famous Lion Gate.
I did say I was going on the European rails, but this isn't exactly what I meant. It was just safer walking here than on the shoulder-less road.


A trio of orange pickers...so, more details please? How did this work exactly? Did you flag them down? How did you indicate where you needed to go? Did they speak English? Did you speak Greek? Were you still on the rails?
ReplyDelete