Back in the US! Feels
a bit odd. For a few hours there I
wasn’t sure if I’d be leaving Iceland.
The Hekla volcano did a little jitter and thought about blowing. My pilots were on alert. But we safely winged our way to Boston,
arriving a half hour early. I had a
lovely chat with the Passport Control agent – which I suppose is what happens
when you hand over the form with an asterisk and extra sheet of paper. The “Countries Visited” box has only two
lines. I was in 16 countries. Just couldn’t make it fit. Even had I used EU, it wouldn’t have fit.
Delightfully, Joaquin was waiting outside the customs area
for me! It’s been ages since someone met
me at the airport.
Spent my first day in Boston (Somerville, Cambridge)
visiting with Cousin Susan, then hitting museums with J. Six museums.
Started with the Harvard Museum of Natural History, which has an
astonishing number of stuffed species on display. I counted at least five that have bit/stung
me. Then through to the Peabody Museum
of Archaeology and Ethnography. You’d
think that would be the highlight, but it was pretty meh. I think most of their value is in the
research collections and their displayed items didn’t wow me.
We met a friend of J.’s across the street and viewed the
one-room Harvard Semitic Museum. I’ve
always steered clear of biblical archaeology, because the scientific truth
needs must always be obfuscated by the demands of faith. But they had a pretty sweet little display
going on. K. recommended we check out a
similarly one-roomed museum a few doors down – the Harvard Historical
Scientific Instruments Museum (http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hsdept/chsi-collection.html
). Pretty cool, and I managed to
embarrass J. by setting off the alarm by leaning in too closely.
J. then indulged me and we headed south of the Charles (but
still Harvard!) to the Warren Museum where we got a close look at this fella’s
skull. So cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
Lastly, we hit the enormous Museum of Fine Arts. We did a surgical strike – hitting the
special exhibits, a brief dip into European Impressionists, then Asian Arts,
and 20th century American. In
the (dark, peaceful) Japanese Buddhist Art gallery, a certain someone took a
brief nap. No snoring. No shame.
I’m sure people do it all the time.
Human interactions have been interesting all day. I’ve rarely been particularly shy, and as an
Alaskan I’ve had the autochat setting since birth. Plus, I’ve been outside of any sort of social
circle for months now. My barriers – if
they exist – are obviously low. Joaquin
is far more reserved by nature. So, as
we are walking all over the city we wind up talking to people. Kicking a soccer ball with strangers. Talking with his neighbors about putting out
the trash bins. He’s weirded out: he’s
never talked with these neighbors. He
thinks it’s me. I’m a talk magnet. He may be right. Opinions?
You are a talk magnet:
ReplyDeleteExhibit A; people in Italy asking you to join their film
Exhibit B: Psychic gives you a card on the bus
Exhibit C: "Oh yeah, I've met your mom on a rafting trip fourteen states away where from where we actually live."
I think it's a wonderfully characteristic and I strive to adopt it in my own way every day.
You are most definitely a talk magnet... our numerous interactions with poor befuddled waiters is a testament to that.
ReplyDeleteAs for falling asleep in Buddhist art galleries, I think that's perfectly acceptable. Catching some z's is the ultimate zen state, no?