I’ve now managed to hit my top touristic destinations for
the area, plus a bunch more. I spent a
solo day in Cambridge and went to the Eero Saarinen chapel at MIT. It doesn’t appear to have aged well. The brick is weeping a bit and the concrete
is unforgiving. There is the whole
defensive nature of a chapel in a science and technology school, as can be seen
from reading the plaque in the entryway.
But the Star Trek styling is pretty cool.
Joaquin spent Friday squiring me around traditional Boston
haunts along the Freedom Trail. My
reaction to the Boston Athenaeum was unexpected. I kept grabbing the books. Then I realized I haven’t been in an English
language library for over four months. I
usually go to the library about 1-2 times a week when home. I guess I must have really, really missed
it. After the Burying Ground and North
End, J. kindly led me to the Boston Public Library. Lovely.
We spent sunny, Spring-y Saturday taking a drive up
Gloucester way, past to Cape Ann, and into Rockport. We walked
on Good Harbor Beach and watched a lot of dogs go nuts with waves and
balls.

That is a lovely chapel--what an interesting dichotomy...
ReplyDelete