Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Western Massachusetts


I haven’t been to the area of my alma mater since graduation in (gulp) 1995.  So when my friends Jennifer and Brian (okay, honesty: Jennifer is my close friend Hilary’s older sister, and I haven’t see her or her spouse Brian in a loooooong time.  Like maybe 15 years.  I dibs friendship status regardless.  And since I had a lovely visit with their parents in Michigan last April, I’m really doing a good job seeing all the Heuers!) offered to pick me up in Boston and bring me out to the Happy Valley, I jumped at it.  I’m staying in their home in Hadley, just east of the UMass campus.  But I have taken the time for visit a few old haunts.  I went back to the Hampshire College campus and rang the Div Free bell.  The campus is smaller than I remember…  Then popped across the street to Atkins Farms for cider donuts.  That place is larger than I remember, probably because they have remodeled themselves into a larger space.  I spent some time wandering Amherst and Northampton.  Drove a minivan (after driving once in the past 5 months, this was a shocker) to the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown.  Officially: I love Winslow Homer, Camille Pissarro, and John Singer Sargent.   I dislike Degas, Renoir, and Constable.  I have no scientific data to back up these opinions.  But I stand by them. 

Apologies for all the parentheticals.  But really, did you expect otherwise?


Back to ring the bell.  Since the last time I did it, it was dark!


Syrup making machinery.  Waffles seem to be a theme in my life.


Because some traditions MEAN something.  Cider donuts from Atkins.

4 comments:

  1. What the what what? What's with all that DIRT at the library? That boulder wasn't there! Nor those unhappy grasses. Geez, changing things without my leave.

    I need to get back there some time to ring that damn bell a LOT more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bell is also on a rope now, not the old wire. More comfortable to ring! And your in-laws would welcome your visit....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these things. No pithy commentary, just glad you're enjoying your time and you are back on this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... cider donuts. (Insert Homer Simpson sound effects here)

    ReplyDelete