Saturday, March 16, 2013

Iceland


Only a few hours in Iceland and already so many impressions!  Near the airport the lava fields and snow-covered mountains make is appear as if someone rammed Alaska and Hawaii together.  In Reykjavik, the city is situated like Vancouver BC – on a bay facing mountains to the north.  But it looks more like Whitehorse, Yukon Territory with the spare architecture and empty spaces.  There is a lack of clutter about, striking after the ornateness of Paris.  Perhaps also because unlike Paris spring is not yet here.  There is very little snow on the ground, but neither are daffodils blooming.  You hear the studs striking the cement as cars drive past.  It smells like Alaska does in winter: with car exhaust and cigarette smoke.  But then delicious smells from the restaurants creep up on you.  All manner of cuisines are present.  The Italian restaurants are the most crowded, but it’s early yet.  The shop windows are full of striking stylish designs.  One could get in trouble here with retail therapy.  Because the prices!  Oh my oh my!  This one’s going to be a budget buster.  

3 comments:

  1. I assume the stylish designs involve clothing, for multiple reasons...like, you are tired of what you're wearing, you're headed home soon, your existing togs are in tatters...because otherwise I really can't see you buying a clock or a sofa...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mostly clothing, but the kitchen goods store is notable. Not that I have a kitchen. Or can cook...

    ReplyDelete
  3. And oh god my clothes are ragged, tattered, and putrid. I know I mailed some things to meet me in Boston. But I can't remember what!!

    ReplyDelete