I just finished Christopher Hitchens’s autobiography Hitch 22 and I am pretty
disappointed. Perhaps he was too
committed to the journalistic essay to come up with the decent long
form book? But he did write several
books during his life, so that is a weak excuse. I think what struck me as the most
problematic element was the damn sexism.
The first half of the book only mentions women with the formula of:
name, wife of…. In the second half of
the book he only writes of about four women without this formula. And those typically get described in pretty
lean terms about appearance. In his
defense, he does describe the appearances of two of his friends (Edward Said
and Martin Amis) but dozens of other men in the book are left physically
undescribed. And the only woman with
whom he outlines a sexual experience (having not described those with the two
women who bore him children, one of whom remains unnamed [and ignoring the experience with the hooker that his
claims was unconsummated]) he describes mainly with regard to her relationship
as the sister of his male friend who
is clearly the more important element in the story. Oh, and she is dead at the time of
publication.
I think, given his willingness to argue almost anything for
the sake of argument, he would have been a very tiresome dinner guest. The Marxism alone is just so dated. Ugh.
Sorry Hitch, not your best effort.
And now you are dead too.
Meh. Sounds like I can safely cross this one off my list, then?
ReplyDelete