While most of you would consider that for me
love=books/books=love, that is not specifically what this post is about. On the love part: isn’t amazing how you can
just love people within minutes?
Vanessa, Robert, Gunter, and little Ellie are examples of this. Just…boom.
I’ve heard about them for years (well not Ellie, she isn’t even two)
from other members of my family. But I
didn’t think the connection would be there.
It is, and I am so pleased. I
haven’t had the chance to spend much time with children while travelling and
Ellie was such a treat. She’s so precise
and patient. Really, the whole weekend
was fabulous.
So, having spent a wonderful weekend with the family in
Munich I moved on today to Vienna. I
need to be in Budapest tomorrow and this seemed like the best way to make the
journey. I got into town with plenty of
time to visit the one museum Lindsey and I missed in December (not a fine arts
museum! No Jesuses). It’s actually a combination of three museums
at the Hofburg Palace: the Imperial Porcelain and Silver Collection, the Sisi
Museum, and the Imperial Apartments. You
wouldn’t think it, but the dishes are the best part of the display.
But not all experiences here in Vienna are new. I
backtracked into Demel to repeat the wonderful Weinerschnitzel meal. Oink.
As for books: I am reading away while railing around
Europe. My trusty Kindle proved
untrustworthy in Belgium and had to be replaced in Greece (traumatic, but
solvable. And I had the history of
Prague to see me through). I am still
working away on Innocents Abroad by
Twain, but I find that reading things originally published serially as a novel
puts me off. I’ve had problems in the
past with Dickens on this point. David Copperfield and I were not on
friendly terms due to incessant punch making.
But as most of you know I interleave my book reading by having 3-5 open
at any given time. Keeping track of them
on the Kindle is a little trickier than the bedside table, but it leaves more
room for a water glass. Anyway, I just
finished the latest effort by Elizabeth George.
I hated it. Somehow I thought
that since she wasn’t writing murder mysteries set in England but rather in her
own Washington State it would be better.
Less minutiae about class differences and no one moaning on book after
book after book about whatever in their life they weren’t going to get
over. Nope. Yet another book where no one knows anything
about anybody despite living on Whidbey Island which has a population of
nothing. Small towns really don’t work
that way. Big towns don’t either. Oh, and it has a weird Twilight-esque protagonist and ends with a cliffhanger. Augh!!
I’m going to bliss out on essays by Nick Hornby to scrub that out of my
brain. Then a chapter or two of
Twain. And I have two biographies to dip
into sooner or later.

I'm moving on to the American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. I accidentally checked out a different author/same title, and was confronted with hideous bad 80's romance. Oh and I read the Chocolate Kiss, which was actually really good romance (ear tilts up: What?) with some hot scenes, but really excellent depictions and descriptions of Paris. :)
ReplyDeleteYour postcard from Rome came today!!!