Saturday, February 2, 2013

Munchen


I’ve continued north to Munich, but soon I’ll be heading east and south.  I’m in Bavaria to visit with relatives I’ve never actually met before.  They also fall into the famous Lucy version of “family”.  I had lunch today with Vanessa and her husband Robert.  Vanessa’s father is my late bonus father’s first cousin, Geunter.  I’ll be seeing Geunter and more tomorrow.  Such fun!  Really nice people!!

Since V and R had to run off after coffee, I toodled into the Alte Pinakothek for a bit of culture and to walk off the delicious Bavarian food.  Did I mention the hot chocolate with marzipan?  But I think I am topped off with fine art museums.  I can still go to an archaeological museum or two, and shoe museums are still on the menu.  But fine arts are out.  I have, quite simply, seen too many dead Jesuses.  Baby Jesuses too.  Really, most Christian iconography.  St. Jeromes, St. Sebastians, St. Francises.  I may now be something of a connoisseur of Ascensions and I generally don’t care for them.  The exceptions being the ones in which Mary has an, “oh, hell no” expression on her face (about 10% in my estimation).

Other comments on Munich:
·      Best shower.  Duh, Grohe.
·      They don’t jaywalk here.
·      That would be fine if I could figure out where the crossings are.  I can’t.  Either it’s the missing paint due to winter weather or the different wayfaring style or the roundabouts, but I am just clumping up with people and hoping I’m at the right place.


Yup, this is the kind of art I am prepared to deal with.  Unless this isn't actually art.  Bit of a conundrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment