Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Back in Boston (Somerville)



I arrived back in Somerville Sunday night.  Joaquin continues to be a willing host, which is delightful.  I had contacted Cousins Gianna and David in Jamaica Plain and planned dinner with them Monday night.  They told me David would be running the Boston Marathon, so I formed the hazy idea of going down to the course and cheering. 

Instead, I did my laundry and read a great book called ‘Set This House in Order’ by Matt Huff.  I was surprised to hear thunder in the afternoon since it was sunny, but I didn’t think more about it.  And Joaquin’s internet is out, so I wasn’t poking around online.  But then I got an email on my phone and learned about the explosions.  I learned shortly thereafter that David was past the finish line at the time of the blast.  I missed out on dinner with G & D, since transit was shut down and the police requested we all stay home.

I have never felt really scared while on this journey.  I had few moments of anxiety facing Greek riots, Turkish stalkers, and Maltese buses.  I am greatly saddened by the events of the day, but not scared.  So many things are beyond my control.  Chance and luck are just part of life.  I feel lucky that I have had the chance to tell the people in my life I love them, yet again.  

1 comment:

  1. and we, dear friend, are so glad you are "home" in the grandest of terms, and safe.

    ReplyDelete