Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Portland


I dodged into Seattle to pick up my car, but split quickly.  I love Seattle and my friends and family there.  But if I had stayed to visit with you all, I would have been there until Christmas.  And that may have been your plot...  You’ll just have to wait until late June to see me.

Part of my rush was the intention of seeing an old friend with a serious illness.  Sadly, he passed away before I arrived.  I am saddened by this, but happy that I saw him last autumn before I began this trek (and before his diagnosis).  It has certainly validated my choice to always tell those I love just that, every time I talk to them.  Because you never know when it will be the last chance you have to do so.  So those of you who are annoyed by my gushiness, get over it!

Portland has been a lovely visit, even with the pall cast by death.  It appears half of my elementary school is now living here!  I’m staying with Ben and Melinda (Ben and I did both elementary and secondary schools together) and have seen Sarah, Paul, and several others.  Plus having met new friends through my friends.  Such fun!

Sarah and I ventured to the longhouse built just north of Ridgefield, allowing us to have a mutual archaeology geek session.  Paul and I went to hipsterville Mississippi Street and (of course) Powell’s Books.  It’s so wonderful to get to talk books.  I love books.  I love my friends.  I’m not sure which I could do without.  Don’t make me choose.

Melinda took me to the Tugboat Bar on a Monday night.  To combat the tedium and slowness of Mondays, the bar has instituted a Cheers-like welcome to everyone who walks in the door.  Instant friendliness.  And because of that, it appears that many people have become regulars and, hence, friends.  No one actually seems to be named Norm or Cliff in the place, but you might consider adopting it when you go there.

I’ve also made my pilgrimage to Moonstruck Chocolates for my favorite milkshake.  Now down the road for Shakespeare in Ashland!


Sarah in the Long House



Paul and I found a tire swing!

No comments:

Post a Comment