Have had an excellent visit to the fog-bound city. Hilary, Adam and I hit some of our favorite
nosh places – Pizzetta, the Crème Brule food truck, and new to me Green Chile
Kitchen. Dan and Jill joined us for the
last one, allowing a critical mass of friends to max out on the weekend. Also squeezed in a dinner with Cousin Karen. You can't imagine I'd visit somewhere without digging up a family member!
I managed a hike above Berkeley in Tilden Park with Dan and
Dido. You can tell that California is
going to be suffering drought conditions this summer - very dry already. Oddly: with Adam, Hilary AND Dan; in two
separate parks; there was tree climbing.
I guess we all like hearkening back to our brachiating ancestors.
Jen A. and I hit the Exploratorium and the Ferry Building on
one day, and the De Young on the next.
The Exploratorium science exhibits are excellent. My favorites: the Slinky treadmill and the
heat sensor that proved I have no circulation in my hands. The De Young was interesting, but I think
their collection and curation isn’t as robust as it could be. Moving the Asian materials to a separate
space might not have been the best choice.
The Piazzoni murals are beautiful, but displayed in a very sterile
environment that contradicts their original placement in a library.
Final cultural excursion was to the Museum of Vision (http://www.museumofvision.org/)
and I cannot recommend this enough!
Located inside the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the
museum includes the science of eyes and vision, the history of correction,
ailments, and treatments. It is
completely fascinating, requires an appointment, includes a guided tour by
Jenny, and only 100 people visit per year.
If you are in San Francisco, you should definitely go. There will be a new exhibit in December about
vision correction in Science Fiction that I will have to return for.


No comments:
Post a Comment