Monday, May 20, 2013

The Sierras and More


I’ll admit – I caught a head cold in San Francisco and that has put a teensy crimp in my enjoyment of this leg of the journey.  Luckily, I’ve shanghaied Adam and Hilary into joining me so one of them is available to drive while I nap in the back of the car. 

We first hit Yosemite – still a lot of snow so no real hiking.  But the drive was beautiful and the views astounding.  Then over to Bodie State Park, a real ghost town!  Bodie was an old gold strike town that played out over 90 years.  It’s in an amazing state of decay, and great to ramble around in.  Michelle S. – you would have loved it!

From there we hit the banks of Mono Lake – peeyouee!!  Smelly lake.  Messy mud.  Fun anyway.  Then down to the ski town of Mammoth.  We ventured out to find accessible hot springs on BLM land outside of town.  It was amazing and peaceful and relaxing to soak out there. 

Today was a drive across the White Mountains, where we saw actual Joshua Trees.  Very strange looking things.  Then a long and boring stretch into Las Vegas.  Tomorrow Adam and Hilary fly back to SF, and I venture on to Flagstaff.  There I’ll be meeting up with The Horde (aka at least 11 members of my family) and rafting the Colorado River for a couple of weeks.  The digital diet just became a fast.  Whoohoo!









No comments:

Post a Comment