I’ve found it increasingly frustrating in recent years that
the media, from a fear of using the word ‘sex’, has chosen to use the word
‘gender’. Any week you can see the cover
of some magazine blaring the news of a celeb pregnancy and the gender of their
child. The problem is, sex is a
biological term and gender is a cultural one.
Sex refers to actual biological differences between potential mating pairs. Of course there are some gray areas, such as
in the chromosomal anomalies of XXY, XXX, and non-specific genitalia
occasionally identified at birth. Gender
on the other hand, refers to culturally defined norms for human behavior.
[Sidebar here: race is also a cultural term and not a
biological one. Homo sapiens is a single species, with no subspecies. And despite our numbers, DNA shows us that we
aren’t even a particularly variable species.]
Gender is expressed a multitude of ways, depending on the
culture a child is raised in. U.S.
parents trying to raise their children with a broader spectrum of non-gendered
behavior will find themselves frustrated by family members, teachers,
schoolmates, and media that try very hard to slot people into the binary
male/female roles.
Thailand has proven to be surprising in the numbers and
variability of non-standard (to Western perceptions) gender roles. We have encountered what are called lady-boys
and boy-girls virtually every day. Not
in the brothel settings you hear about (since we haven’t been in any brothels,
I really can’t speak to that), but in everyday travel life as wait staff, tour
guides, and merchants. The general
acceptance of these individuals is high.
One difficulty I have encountered is that the Thai language
is gendered. Different endings are used
by men and women. One person we spent
time with had a male body, female dress and makeup, and used the female
language. I wasn’t attuned enough to the
norms to know whether I should refer to the person as he or she (tho s/he did
use the men’s WC). I’ve known several trans
people in the US and they have been vocal and particular about their pronouns. I wish I had a better grasp of the
phenomenon.
I didn’t find this to be accurate to our experiences, but it
is a start in understanding the culture of Thailand:
Ohhh, fascinating. Do you think it would be culturally appropriate to ask if they had a preference? Perhaps it would allow insight into our culture. I love the idea that Thailand is so accepting.
ReplyDelete