Saturday, October 5, 2013

So Singapore

After a basically stress-free series of flights, Lindsey and I arrived in Singapore.  The first stop on our monthlong trip.  It is hot here.  And humid.  The words “sweaty mess” will be repeated a lot in the coming month.  But for all that, my first impression is that it is very much like…Bellevue Square.  Yes, the mall.  It’s very clean, almost scentless, well behaved, covered in surveillance cameras, and it is all shopping, all the time.  I’m not really interested in shopping.  Singapore also has the somewhat privileged feel of BelSq, albeit with a greater range of ethnic/racial mixing.  And I have no idea what language anyone is speaking here.  We did spend an entire day in the Botanical Gardens yesterday.  Very lovely, and Lindsey now has a greater appreciation of frangipani.  We haven’t seen much in the way of the have-nots here.  No beggars, no touts.  Which is going to make the next leg in Phnom Penh that much more jarring.  Wish us luck!


Yes, Singapore Slings at Raffles Hotel.


Frangipani


"Cooling Stations" - big fans on the waterfront.  All I can say is, I'm glad we're not here in the hot season.


 In the gardens.


No comments:

Post a Comment