Saturday, June 20, 2015

Thoughts for Michelle

Since returning to Alaska, I’ve kicked off a Ladies Swap Party event that occurs every quarter.  I started this because, upon unpacking my boxes from storage, I had a lot of clothing that didn’t fit or didn’t suit me.  The parties have since exploded, and now include clothing, shoes, accessories, makeup, books, and housewares.  We all make investments in stuff, and it’s often kept long past desirability or utility because it’s too good (or we spent too much on it) to just throw out.  Swapping with girlfriends makes you hope you goods are going to a loving home.  Lots of the participants are co-workers and we all share a thrill when someone comes in looking fabulous in our cast-offs.  By now, about 1/6 of my wardrobe is made up of these freebies.  And if something doesn’t suit, you can throw it back in the bag for the next party.  Without the monetary investment, it’s easier to discard what doesn’t work.

These parties lead to a kind of intimacy of course – you’re wearing someone else’s clothes, and you stripped down in front of everyone to try them on.  One of the new friends I’ve made asked me some questions about my goals and philosophy. 

I started talking about books I’d read.  The once that first came to mind isn’t even philosophy.  It is about how to keep a clean house.  And the author is brutally honest in writing that if you want a clean house you should have no kids, no dogs, and no houseplants.  Not that everyone needs to eschew those things.  But it’s about figuring out what your commitments are.  Does your stuff own you, or do you own your stuff?  If you plan to travel, would you be hampered by having those things?  What about jewelry – would you wear the item walking down a street in Europe? South America?  Would you feel safe?  Would it be worth your safety to wear it?  What are you advertising by wearing it?

So I made up a list of things I’ve read and found insightful.  I don’t agree with all of them, of course.  Some aren’t even good writing.  But they helped me to frame what I want and how I hope to achieve it.

Web and Blogs:


https://unclutterer.com/2007/07/23/extreme-minimalism-monday-bucket-o-food/








Books:

The Not So Big House (and sequels) by Sarah Susanka

150 best minimalist house ideas by Àlex Sánchez Vidiella

Early retirement extreme: a philosophical and practical guide to financial independence by Jacob Lund Fisker

How to retire happy, wild, and free: retirement wisdom that you won't get from your financial advisor by Ernie J. Zelinski

The big tiny: a built-it-myself memoir by Dee Williams

The Cob Builders Handbook: You Can Hand-Sculpt Your Own Home by Becky Bee

The Hand-Sculpted House: A Practical and Philosophical Guide to Building a Cob Cottage by Ianto Evans

The Joy of Less

A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify your Life

Living with less: how to downsize to 100 personal possessions by Mary Lambert

Apps:

Personal Capital


Clear

No comments:

Post a Comment