The bus trip to Split was beautiful and long. The Border guards in Bosnia Herzegovina were
very stern, and the Croatians do not like them.
Split is yet another town with slippery stone and narrow
passageways. Which is particularly funny
in the sheeting rain when you have to lower your umbrella and slllliiiiddddeeeee
past people.
The center of Split is fascinating. Imagine living in a palace/UNESCO
site/archaeological site all at once.
Beautiful, but I imagine getting electricity and plumbing sorted must be
a nightmare. Diocletian’s Palace isn’t a
museum, it’s just the town. Though I did
pay to go through the basements. While I
was down there (alone, again) the Ash Wednesday bells cut loose over my head
and rang for 15 minutes.
Andrew: do you remember when we met the loneliest Park
Service employee ever, at Dinosaur National Monument? His cousin works at the Split Museum of
Archaeology. He was so surprised to have
a customer he offered to let me in for free (I paid anyway), urged me to take
all the photos I wished, pointed out an unfinished exhibit I was allowed to see
anyway, and when I asked about the 2pm closing time told me it was okay to stay
until 8pm. But he did not have a video
to show me. J The museum isn’t huge, but it is a very
comprehensive collection. I appreciate
that the nationalism of other places isn’t present here. They admit that the Greeks got in first, then
the Romans, and the Germanic Tribes migrated in when pressure from further east
made the north uncomfortable. It does
explain the amount of Celtic imagery we’ve seen in Zagreb and Split. It’s funny to see how the Roman elites
sneered at the hicks and their customs.
The Croatians were early adopters of the worship of Priapus. And despite Christianity, those sculptures
are intact. Ha!
The Museum
Kitchen vessel, reused as urn for cremains. Yes, I checked. They're real.
The description says oil lamp in shape of gladiator. I see maniacal beekeeper.
Sarcophagus of a winemaker?
Having said that about Christianity, I am surprised by the extent of outward
religious devotion I’ve seen throughout Croatia. I know it’s been Fat Tuesday and Ash
Wednesday and all that, and of course I’ve been in a lot of churches. But I was in Rome, people. Plus a lot of other RC hot spots. And they did not genuflect as much as these
folks. I had the idea that under
Communism this had been wiped out, but apparently not. I spoke with a Bosnian who felt she faced
prejudice in Croatia for not being RC.
I can believe that. I also spoke
with an ag student who was happy with the level of religious expression. That’s a bit contrary to most of the EU. Interesting.


The kitchen urn is beautiful--I love the color of the ...glass? Also, the oil lamp actually makes me think "Big Daddy" from BioShock, an observation I can guess only one other person might agree with. Failing that, I agree with maniacal bee keeper. Given your comment about the genuflecting and RCs, maybe he was trying to convert the bees?
ReplyDeleteI very very much want the maniacal beekeeper oil lamp for my very own!
ReplyDelete