The famous son of Zagreb (sorta)
Hilary and I relocated from Budapest to Zagreb, with only minor travel-related traumas (the train left from a different station than the web told us, we had to hustle on the metro [for which we were happy, since it is the second oldest subway system in the world and we wanted to check it out], and we shared a compartment with two specimens of Croatian and Serbian stereotypes). Zagreb is just magical. It has a very compact old town, with an Upper and Lower part. We ventured out for dinner the first night a happened into Carpaccio. The waiter was the king of the upsell, but everything he suggested was so wonderfully tasty and perfect that we really can’t complain. Best octopus and tiramisu of my life. And Burratino!! Yum…
The following morning we hiked to the Mirogoj Cemetery for a
long, cold ramble. You know you are a
bit of a cemetery geek when you debate headstone fonts. Then we toured the Upper Old Town; including
the Lotrscak Tower and the Museum of Broken Relationships which was sweet,
funny, and touching. Plus, they had hot
chocolate so thick it was chocolate soup.
The obvious.
This morning we woke up to snow! We felt like we were somehow in tune with our East Coast brethren.



Wonderful pictures! Oh, I like the cemetery pictures--I think they're a nice piece of history...I was reading a passage about how they really exist for the loved ones at the moment, and when those people are gone, well...but I like the monuments, and the fonts and the sense of time. I am disappointed there is not more detail about the Museum of Broken Relationships, or exactly what you were "upselled" on. Or the stereotypes. More detail, woman!
ReplyDeleteI'm very intrigued by the Museum of Broken Relationships. And the hot chocolate soup, which I am now craving like a madman.
ReplyDeletehttp://brokenships.com/
ReplyDeleteUpselled to the best tiramisu of my life. Plus great octopus. And some white wine.