I braved the bus/train/metro/tram system to Louvain-le-Neuve
to go to the Herge Museum. Really very
easy. I keep waiting for someone to be
rude to me, but it hasn’t happened yet. For
those of you who are not Tintin fans, it would not have been an enthralling
excursion. But for myself, it was just
wonderful: all kinds of background on the creation of the stories, drawing, the
studios, etc. I had already read several
books on the subject and about Herge himself (at least those in English and
translated to English). But this had all
new dimensions. Unfortunately, the
museum does not allow photography. So I
could not capture the bits that were so appealing – the chandelier made up of
every character in the books (over 200 individual faces) and the list in
Herge’s handwriting with the top ten given names for Captain Haddock. Although Archibald eventually won, number 4
was Patrick (!!) and number 5 was
Marmaduke. The notation next to
Marmaduke was, “preposterous”.
Visiting Brussels was not really a high priority, beyond the
Herge Museum, but I have to say I am delighted with this town. Today I went to the Musee Magritte. Other than the sloppy 1945-1950s-era stuff,
almost everything of his is so visually appealing I feel like I could live with
it. Not true of the stuff in the Musee
de Beaux Artes next door. Waking up to Breughel,
Van Dyck, Ensor, and most especially Hireronymus Bosch? No way.
Uff da.
Wandered from the museums to the nearby parks. I was very taken with the Grand Sablon, if
only because it’s the only park with a working fountain right now. And given the weather predictions and the
growing ice in the basin, I expect they’ll be turning that off pretty soon.
Last stop of the day was Wittamer Chocolatiers. Obviously there are many chocolatiers to
choose from in Brussels, but this one came recommended by my hosts. I’ll let the pictures speak for
themselves. Because sugar coma begins in
three….two….

Oh. My. That looks AMAZING.
ReplyDeleteIn local news, someone sent this to the University of Chicago--should especially appeal to you, dear friend.
http://uchicagoadmissions.tumblr.com/post/37809971913/indiana-jones-mystery-package-we-dont-really
The TinTin Museum pics you could share (selfish Belgians!) are fabulous.
When I saw the artwork, I was trying to remember when I had seen a building like that before, then I remembered, the Belgian consulate in Beijing had a very similar look and feel to it.
ReplyDeleteOh, and the dessert looks delicious. Don't imagine that would fedex well, however.