Monday, December 3, 2012

Paris II

Today I hit the right bank areas I've missed during previous trips.  Started with Pere Lachaise Cemetery, which (excepting the dead) was empty.  I suppose the cold and the rain kept most tourists away.  The trees have dropped their leaves so the Eiffel Tower is visible from the hill.



Given the weather, I braved the Metro and rode over to Montmartre.  Either the Parisian wayfaring is improved, my French is better, or because I am not on a schedule of any kind - getting around seems much easier.  I hiked up to Sacre Coeur and enjoyed the view and the church.  Took my first non-mirror selfie.  Could be better, could be worse.



Then I Metro'ed again over to the Arc de Triomphe.  Trish suggested wandering the Champs Elysee for Christmas decor.  So down I walked.  They've gone high tech with LED lighting on the trees.  Still pretty subdued until you get to Franklin D. Roosevelt when Noel-fever takes over.  I just kept going through the Tulleries and, on a whim, tried to sneak into Notre Dame before closing time.  I made it by 15 minutes, accidentally catching the end of mass.  I was disappointed that the Rose Window wasn't lit up, but I enjoyed the quietness of the mass-going people over the usual tourist hubbub.  And I still reek of incense.


1 comment:

  1. I see no tour Eiffel in your picture, but perhaps you meant you could see it, not we could see it from your picture. Today was moderately damp, with a promise of more wind and rain, and general Seattle weather tomorrow. I finished the book Wendy loaned me...the author really captured the essence of Seattle culture and the issues we have--humorlessly. Also, that's why you were meeting a penguin yesterday.

    ReplyDelete