Saturday, December 8, 2012

Vive le Pow!



We had a brief break in the snow, as seen in the photo previously, and then the snow just kept coming.  So yesterday was spent hanging out with Claire, then hiking Savoyard and sledding!  Then down to The Pub where Steph was working her first shift of the season for the opening day event.  We made her make us spiked hot chocolate and chatted with all the patrons.

It could be argued that I came to Europe to experience different cultures (hey, anthropology degrees), but that is not the case here.  Ski towns are ski towns, and I’ve spent quality time in ski towns.  There ARE differences here.  I’ve certainly skied with my fair share of Aussies and Kiwis, but the English, Irish, and Scottish make up a big portion of the population here.  Plus some Zimbabweans, Swedes, Finns, Russians, and – of course – French.  Apparently we were actually “sledging” last night, per the lingo.  Even Claire and Steph have picked up Brit accents and slang from their constant contact with those islanders.  And the approach to skiing is a little more serious to some of the people here.  The big debate yesterday was whether to buy the 20 insurance that pays for the cost of the helicopter ride off the mountain if you are injured.

Today the lifts remained closed, either due to avalanche danger or lack of employees.  Every answer is different.  So Claire, Stephanie and I hiked up Les Planards for my first ever snowboarding excursion.  The snow is deep and light, making the going slow and the landings soft.  But getting up again was quite a challenge!  I made some less-than-completely-embarrassing turns.  After skiing for 36 years (not counting the in utero time), snowboarding does not feel natural. 

The clouds lifted for about half the day and I finally saw Mont Blanc.  Doesn’t look as impressive from this side, but nevertheless beautiful.  Looks like we’ll be trying to real skiing tomorrow.  I’ll try to remember the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment