Sunday, December 2, 2012

Paris


Truly off piste now, as my solo travelling has launched.  I flew from Seattle to Paris (through Reykjavik), for the first time taking Ambien.  I warned the nice couple seated near me of this, and asked them to elbow me roughly if I misbehaved.  Instead I slept the whole way to Iceland, deplaned, went through passport control, and fell asleep again until crossing the Channel.  I won’t say I have jet lag licked, but I feel pretty darn good!

Another happy series of moments – I was mistaken for Icelandic, then Swedish.  It’s nice kicking off a trip and not being immediately pegged!

Once in Paris I checked into my hotel and cast about for a plan.  A quick perusal of the guidebooks showed that, as this is the first Sunday of the month, most museums are free.  So I marched my way westward to the Louvre.  This is my first time staying on the right bank in Paris, and I am situated fairly east in the Marais.  But it’s a perfectly reasonable walk to most sights.  Paris is sunny and chilly, which is great for perambulations.  And I wasn’t ready to wrestle with the metro yet. 



The Louvre was a madhouse of tourists and locals enjoying the free day.  But it was still worthwhile to go in and enjoy the art and architecture.  I liked seeing The Raft of the Medusa (two versions), which I read about in the Miles Johnson book.  Although they are perfectly comfortable and ideal for walking, my Lowas squeak embarrassingly on the marble and parquet floors.  Hopefully no one noticed. For some reason, the Gallerie D’Apollon was my favorite this visit – the jade, jasper, and agate carvings were wonderful. 

The Mona Lisa has been moved since I was last here, and the lighting is much better.  Nearby are several Titians.  The detail on The Last Supper is exquisite, but you have to wonder why no one thought to iron the tablecloth for Jesus.   

Walked back toward my hotel enjoying the streets and the fairly minimal Noel decorations.  Looks like things are just getting rolled out here.  Some chestnuts being roasted by street vendors, but no horrible songs polluting the air.  I was looking at menus at various bistros when a woman next to me spoke English and commented on her lack of understanding of the dishes.  I helpfully translated if for her.  I may not speak French, but I speak menu in several languages!  The woman mentioned she was from the Northwest, I asked where, and wouldn’t you know – Spokane.  She and her three colleagues just started a business trip, all four worked for Itron!  Small world….  They invited me to join them (menu interpreter?) and we wound up at a creperie.  Sue, Rich, Jess, and Cindy made excellent dinner companions, and then picked up the tab!  Solo travelling so far – just about ideal.  Now it’s after 9pm so I am going to hit the sack and see if jetlag hits.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy goes to Antartica, goes out on a Zodiak, meets a talking penguin who announces he interned at Woodland Park Zoo.

    ReplyDelete